Photo Gallery
Crematoriaum II, North View
[photo]

Crematorium II in Auschwitz-Birkenau was based on a design by Architect Georg Werkmann as modified by Walter Dejaco. The central part of the building contained furnaces with a capacity of 1440 corpses per day. The gas chambers and undressing rooms were underground; the bodies were brought up by elevator. On Saturday, March 13, 1943, 1,492 women, children and elderly people from the Cracow ghetto were gassed and burned here in its inagural run. It was blown up by the Germans as they prepared to evacuate the camp in January 1945. The 4 crematoria in Auschwitz-Birkenau are examples of the application of industrial technology to the problem of mass murder.

Photo Credit: John Menszer



Home | Survivor Stories | Audio Gallery | Photo Gallery | Texts
Encyclopedia | Bibliography | Links | Discussions | About the Project

Questions, comments, suggestions? Contact webmaster@holocaustsurvivors.org

© 1999-2014, John Menszer
web site designed by dave cash